LEGO has recently made an update on the "Shuttle Expedition" set which will be released in the coming months, the replacement for the #10231 "Shuttle Adventure" set, and explains reasons for the replacement and details on its many improvements.
Since it was released in 2010, Shuttle Adventure has become very popular! The model was originally designed for a 16+ audience, however LEGO has recently been informed by its customer call service that many younger are building and playing with the model. For this reason, the Direct team has decided to look at the model once more to see what changes could be made in order to provide a better play experience for a younger target audience.
"Shuttle Expedition" still looks very similar to "Shuttle Adventure", however its build is very different and features several improvements.
- The fuel tank has been reinforced with supports to strengthen the assembly.
- The landing gear is strengthened to function better across many different floor types.
- The Cargo doors can now be more rigorously opened and closed.
- The entire build has been reworked to limit opportunities for misplacing elements.
- Astronauts now have wigs in addition to their helmets (1 male, 1 female). Face prints are also different.
- The new set now has 1,230 bricks instead of 1,204.
- New Satellite can be securely positioned on the new mechanical arm.
10231 Shuttle Expedition has already gone on sale in LEGOLAND Billund and will soon be available across all LEGO brand retail stores and on LEGO.com.